About Insulet Corporation
As one of the leading and most experienced providers of Personal Diabetes Managers, Insulet’s waterproof POD allows for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics to lead a healthy lifestyle. The marketing and IT teams were leading an effort to build a responsive web experience that would allow users to register their devices, subscribe at different cycles to receive new pods, check for warranty information, recalls, and join an online community of Podders.
Role: Creative Designer
Responsibilities: user flows, information architecture, usability testing, visual design, design thinking workshops
Building A Self-Service Diabetic Dashboard and Corporate Intranet Site
As the first UX designer the team brought on, there was a lot of excitement about bringing to fruition a lot of the ideas they had. A significant portion of my role was dedicated to planning, requirement gathering, and prioritizing which projects first needed my focus before jumping to solutions based on user-centered design principles.
We used tools such as Jira and Invision to allow all of the stakeholders to comment and offer their feedback throughout the process. Collaboration from stakeholders was essential if we were going to succeed in such a short amount of time with maximum buy-in for the resulting product.
In the initial phases of crafting the user experience we broke the target customers into two groups, prospect and existing. It was important to identify these primary user groups to appropriately address the flow that each would experience. In doing this first, we understood how to filter what information was necessary to onboard but also what missing information could be captured in salesforce.
Once we landed on the flows, I began to wireframe and hold weekly meetings to review these designs and receive feedback. My process while wireframing was to maintain feasibility assurance on the technical side, salesforce developers and software architects, to ensure the stakeholders would only review viable designs.
Due to budget constraints, I lead a card sorting study with company volunteers to validate the navigational structure of the website. I did this for about ten users which proved helpful in pattern identification and word association.
If budget had allowed, I would have used tools like UserTesting or UserInterviews to recruit participants to user test. However, in lieu of this I conducted the testing process using internal employees. I videotaped their interactions and would use these in weekly presentations on changes to the wireframes and navigation.
Ordering a POD